Walk the St. Declan’s Way in Ireland from April 18th to April 25th, 2024
and Raise Money for IILA!
Cambria Tortorelli, our CEO, will be leading a pilgrimage to Ireland to walk St. Declan’s Way from April 18th to April 25th. This is a rare opportunity to experience a little traveled pilgrimage route (about 1000 people per year) while gaining an insight into the rich spirituality, culture, history and traditions of Ireland.
We currently have a few openings on the pilgrimage which are available on a first come first served basis. See below for more information.
Our group of 20 pilgrims will walk in the footsteps of St. Declan from Cashel in County Tipperary to Ardmore in County Waterford, following the route Declan took to meet St. Patrick in the fifth century. It is also the way that pilgrims have taken to visit St. Declan’s monastery, holy well and grave in Ardmore for 1500 years.
In the words of Dr. Phil Brennan, who has organized this very special pilgrimage for us: “Here on this ancient ‘Rian Bó Padraigh’ once trodden by the saints of old, we pass castles and forts, holy wells and hallowed vaults, breathtaking views and barren places – an eclectic collage of visual sensations that seep deep into the prism of the mind as we make our way. This is more than a journey of 100kms but a journey through time of well over 1,500 years. Along the Camino, you unearth truths that may otherwise have passed you by.”
Below you will find a brief overview of the pilgrimage and what is included:
- 7 nights bed and breakfast; 1 in the Royal Marine Hotel, Dun Laoghaire (Dublin), 3 in Cahir House Hotel and 3 in Mount Melleray Abbey Guest House. All rooms en-suite.
- Dinner each evening: on your night of arrival in The Royal Marine Hotel, Dun Laoghaire; each of your 3 evenings in Cahir House Hotel; on your first night in Mount Melleray Abbey and Foley’s, Lismore and The Moorings, Dungarvan on your last 2 nights.
- Packed lunches sourced locally from cafes/shops in the villages and towns we pass through over the 5 days.
- Reflective ‘compass points’ each day led by Dr. Phil and Elaine Brennan.
- Guest local guides seeped in the stories of the places we pass each day over the 5 days with input from our mountain specialists Conor and Mark from Knockmealdown Active and our storyteller Alice from Lismore Heritage Centre.
- Guided tour of The Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, The Swiss Cottage in Cahir and The Monastic Ruins at Ardmore.
- Coach transfers for the duration of your time with us to include transfer from Dublin to Cahir House and from Mount Melleray Abbey to Dublin and evening trips into Lismore and Dungarvan on your last 2 evenings.
- St. Declan’s Way Camino Passport and completion stamp.
- St. Declan’s Way Certificate.
- Donation to International Institute of Los Angeles
- Airfare and airport transfers are NOT included
For an extended description of the pilgrimage, please visit: https://trips.waterfordcamino.com/trip/6yw9rqud9dlsqz2atvjsd9n27dgfm6q
DECLAN’S WAY COST:
Single Rooms: $3,500 per person
Shared Rooms: $3,250 per person
Optional Room: $200 (single)/$120 (double) per person supplement for bed and breakfast at the Royal Marine, Dublin on Thursday, April 25th.
Please contact Cambria Tortorelli as soon as possible if you would like to join the pilgrimage or have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org. Full payment will be due on making the reservation.
Checks should be made payable to International Institute of Los Angeles (please write St. Declan’s Way in the memo line) and mailed c/o Cambria Tortorelli, IILA, 3845 Selig Place, Los Angeles, CA 90031.